The outstanding 2021-22 San José State women’s golf season ended Tuesday morning as the Spartans fell to Oregon, 3-0, in match play with two matches still on the course at the Grayhawk Golf Club.
- The Spartans advanced to match play at the championships for the first time in school history and entered the day as the seventh seed and had to play second-seed Oregon.
- Antonia Malate started the day for SJSU and was all square through the first hole but Duck Ching-Tzu Chen took the lead on the next hole and never looked back as Malate fell 5&4.
- Lucia Lopez Ortega was second out for SJSU and kept her match close as it was all square through 10 holes before she lost 4&3.
- Third up for SJSU was Kajsa Arwefjäll who was up for the first three holes before Tze-Han Lin took as much as a three-shot during the match. Arwefjäll made clutch birdie putts on 16 and 17 to get within one shot of Lin and was getting ready for her third shot on 18 when the match was called.
- Louisa Carlbom was in the fourth position against Hsin-Yu Lu. Carlbom never led in her match but stayed within two for much of the day. She cut it to one shot after 16, but Lu won the 17th hole to win the match.
- Natasha Andrea Oon rounded out the Spartan lineup, falling behind early to Sofie Kibsgaard Nielsen. Oon fought back, getting the match back to all square after seven holes and was all square through 11 holes before Oon was able to go two up after 13 holes before the match was called.
Quarterfinal Match play
Oregon 3, San José State 0 (2 matches unfinished)
Ching-Tzu Chen (O) def. Antonia Malate (SJSU) 5&4
Briana Chacon def. Lucia Lopez Ortega (SJSU) 4&3
Hsin-Yu Lu (O) def. Louisa Carlbom (SJSU) 2&1
Tze-Han Lin (O) 1 up through 17 vs. Kajsa Arwefjäll (SJSU)
Natasha Andrea Oon 2 up through 16 vs. Sofie Kibsgaard Nielsen (O)